Santa Cruz City Schools: The Best Choice For Middle School And High School Students
Santa Cruz City Schools: The Best Choice for Middle School and High School Students
Thinking about sending your middle or high school student to a private or charter school?
Santa Cruz City Schools are as good or better than the alternative you may be considering.
Santa Cruz City Schools:
Where your child will be challenged, prepared, supported and known.
Your child will be academically challenged at SCCS middle schools and high schools.
- Our teachers differentiate instruction to meet our students' individual needs and interests
- Our high schools offer a full range of honors and advanced placement classes
- Our middle schools offer accelerated math programs allowing students to take high school level classes
- Our high schoolers are able to take advantage of small, focused learning communities through our advanced Math Academy, Humanities Academy, and Manufacturing, Engineering and Construction Academy
- Class sizes of 20 in 9th grade English & Math ensure all students get a solid start
- Our high schoolers routinely take classes at Cabrillo College and UCSC for college credit
- Regional Occupation Program (ROP) courses provide hands-on training in real-world careers for all students, including the university-bound.
- Our middle schools offer academic electives; students test into high school Spanish at the same level as private school students taking 6+ years of Spanish
- National research on charter and private schools demonstrates that academic achievement in these schools is no better and often worse than achievement for comparable students in public schools
- Outstanding science curriculum and science fair programs send more students to state and national science fairs than any other schools in the county
SCCS secondary schools are staffed by licensed and trained professionals.
- Unlike charter and private schools, SCCS teachers are all licensed professionals
- SCCS teachers have professional degrees, and receive ongoing training and supervision
- SCCS secondary schools have full libraries and computer labs staffed by certificated librarians
SCCS graduates get into the best colleges and universities in the world, and do as well or better in college admissions as comparable students graduating from charter or private schools.
- College admissions officers often show preference for well-rounded students who attend public schools over those who attend elite private or charter schools
- Our high schools offer excellent counseling and support students in their college application process
- School leaders are committed to preparing your student for college and beyond. Students are challenged to become critical thinkers and lifelong learners by their dedicated instructors
- Recent SCCS graduates have been admitted to the nation's most selective colleges and universities, including American, Barnard, Boston, Bowdoin, Brown, Cal Poly, Columbia, Cornell, Drew, Fordham, Georgetown, Hampshire, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Northeastern, Northwestern, NYU, Oberlin, Otis, Pitzer, Pomona, Santa Clara University, Spellman, Stanford, Swarthmore, Syracuse, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, UC Merced, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, University of Pacific, University of Pennsylvania, University of Puget Sound, Vanderbilt, Vassar, Wesleyan, and Whitman
SCCS secondary schools offer lots of extra-curricular opportunities that charter or private schools don't.
- SCCS secondary schools offer a full range of inter-scholastic sports programs
- SCCS secondary athletic programs encourage student athletes with high expectations for success in both academics and sports
- SCCS secondary schools offer strong performing arts programs including drama, musical productions, chorus, bands and orchestras and comprehensive visual arts programs staffed by world-class artists
- Middle schools offer weekly Arts Academies with options that include creative writing, science, painting, rock band, cooking, aikido, steel drums and more taught by professionals from our community
- SCCS high schools offer many club activities including Mock Trial, Model UN, Junior Statesman, and surfing. These sorts of activities motivate and engage students, and are assets in the college application process
SCCS secondary schools are safe.
- Visit our schools and you will notice that our students are known by name. Teachers, staff and parents unite to honor and to know every student
- Teachers and counselors reinforce life skills daily; students are taught to be advocates for themselves and for their own learning experiences
- Personal safety training is offered at all of our middle schools and high schools; our schools recognize the importance of life skills beyond the classroom walls
- SCCS puts safety first. Our schools are well staffed with assistant principals, counselors, campus supervisors, and School Resource Officers. Fights and bullying are very rare at our schools and our kids report that they feel safe... come and see for yourself
SCCS secondary schools prepare students to be successful in the real world.
- Charter and private schools often isolate students in settings that are whiter and more affluent than our community, state and nation
- SCCS secondary schools offer students the opportunity to interact with peers from a wide variety of backgrounds and interests. Business and higher education groups agree that the ability to work successfully in groups, to problem solve and navigate diversity is as important in the 21st century as academic knowledge
SCCS secondary schools are accountable and they are free.
- Save your money for college tuition! Why spend money on a private school or on "donations" to a charter school when you are already paying for SCCS's great schools through your property and state taxes?
- Community members are welcome partners in SCCS schools. From parent organizations at the school level to district committees engaged in finance, facilities, Wellness and Green Schools, our strength is in the collaboration between our outstanding staff and our community partners
- Unlike private or charter schools, SCCS schools are accountable to you through your elected school board representatives
“From the month I began school here at Santa Cruz High, up until this day, my schoolwork has improved leaps and bounds, bringing my parents and myself a feeling of happiness I haven’t felt before in my academic career. I finally feel comfortable saying that I am proud of the person I have become due to my change in school.” Four-year veteran of a local charter who transferred to Santa Cruz High.
“Public schooling has helped me grow by exposing me to a more diverse culture of students, helped me learn to be a team player, further developed my ability to make good decisions, helped me learn patience and compassion for others, and overall has changed who I am for the better. With a multitude of peers with colorful interests providing me with new experiences and relationships, I’ve been allowed to determine for myself which paths I want to take in life. This has definitely been the best decision I have made for my education”. Former charter school student.
“My daughter had a very good experience at a local charter school socially. On the Academic side, it was a bit slower than what she’s been used to and of course that is important for her. So we’ll transfer her back to SCCS.” Parent of a former charter school student.
“I believe that I am receiving the same great education at SCHS as I would receive at a private preparatory high school. I also believe at SCHS I experience more ‘real life’ situations that make me more aware of my surroundings.” Former Private School Student
Download this flier here.